FAQ: Sint Maarten – Saint Martin | Good to know!
Here you’ll find the answers to all frequently asked Island questions!
Q1: Is it safe to visit St. Maarten – St. Martin?
A1: Yes, completely! All the tourism areas, cities and beaches are save to walk around. Especially during the day there’s nothing to worry about and you can enjoy the Island everywhere.
At night in Philipsburg or Marigot, just like in any other capital, we would advice not to wear expensive belongings. For evening activities take a cab drive there or park close. At most companies you can ask the security for Valet Parking.
Q2: Is it St. Maarten or St. Martin?
A2: Both, the Dutch side is called Sint Maarten and the French side Saint Martin.
Fun Fact, you know this Island probably has the largest variety of given names:
San Martin, Saint Marteen, Sint Marteen, San Marteen, Sankt Martin, St. Martens, St. Martins, Saint Martins, but it really is
St. Maarten or St. Martin
Q3: Will I be bothered on the streets of St. Maarten?
A3: On the Boardwalk in Philipsburg and at other beaches people will try to rent you their Beach Chairs, don’t feel bad saying “no” and choose the ones you prefer. Outside the cruise-port they will offer you tours and trips, make sure you arrange everything in advance to not be bothered. We selected only the best companies.
In Philipsburg there’s several cosmetic stores that will try and lure you in with a free sample, realize that you end up paying large commissions for the people selling it to you.
In certain areas of Philipsburg and Marigot some might offer you weed, cocaine or any other drugs they have available. Don’t worry, when you say “no” they will stay respectfull for your choice.
Q4: Why should I visit St. Maarten – St. Martin?
A4: The Dutch side St. Maarten is known as the Las Vegas of the Caribbean, with lots of Nightlife, Casino’s, Bars and Restaurants.
As the Dutch side has Duty Free importing and no additional product Taxes it’s the best place to buy jewelry, clothing, alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, cosmetics and more. Combine this with the most pristine places to stay, beautiful Beaches and beach bars/restaurants. You’re vacation is complete!
The French side St. Martin is known as the Culinary Capital of the Caribbean, with fine-dining and dishes prepared by world-class chefs all around. On the French side its all about tranquility, no loud music and a Caribbean vibe.
Being part of France they are also known for being very liberal and so free spirits all around. Therefore several nude beaches and topless sunbathing is accepted by all. Next to this you’ll find beautiful shops for European clothing; colorful, unique and with a perfect fit.
Q5: What is the best thing to do in St. Maarten – St. Martin?
A5: From the best activities, watersports and entertainment to world class dining and nightlife, the choices are endless on St. Maarten – St. Martin!
Our top 10 things to do:
1. Visit Philipsburg: Enjoy the historical sights of the Capital and visit the Heritage Museum to learn all about our history.
Combine this with some Tax-Free shopping and a lunch or beach day at Ocean Lounge part of the famous Holland House Beach Hotel and you’ll enjoy the best day!
2. Around the Island Tour: Explore the Island all around with a guided tourearly in your visit. That way you know where to enjoy your days the most as everyone has their own preferences.
We recommend you JoJunie tours with the most experienced local drivers / tour guides.
Another great option is an ATV Island tour.
3. Loterie Farm: Combine a healthy & sporty day with some ultimate relaxation. With the hiking trails and tree-top ziplines you enjoy the biodiversity of the tropical forest while admiring monkeys, iguanas and other wild Caribbean species.
After or instead you can relax at their spring-fed swimming pool and enjoy great food and drinks. Read more…
4. Tour on the Water: Around the Island or to Anguilla. With so much water surrounding SXM there’s nothing better and more calming than to explore the island from the ocean.
Catamaran, Mono-haul, Powerboat or Jet-Ski, we made a selection of the best ways to explore the island by sea, read more…
5. Pinel Island: A trip to St. Maarten / St. Martin is not complete without visiting lovely Pinel Island. From the parking for $12 both ways you can take the Ferry leaving every 30 min.
When on Pinel you can enjoy hiking this small charming island, snorkeling around and chill on the beach. There’s beach chairs available for rent at Yellow Beach or Karibuni where you can also enjoy refreshing drinks and a great lunch!
6. A night out in Simpson Bay/Cole Bay & Maho: The party centralof the Caribbean. With the largest Mega Yacht Marina’s, Sail Marina’s and Hotels there’s people all around.
You can choose between an array of restaurants, bars, casino’s and clubs. From Karaoke, Acoustic to Salsa, Rock, Blues and House music, one night will not be enough! Or join the 2 weekly Pub Crawl to explore 5 bars in one night. Read more…
7. Dinner evening in Grand Case: The culinary capital of the Caribbean, with world-class fine dining all around. Here you find the largest selection of fine European cuisine paired with the best wines!
You can also visit Lolo’s for a Caribbean BBQ experience or Rainbow Café for a beach club vibe with sunset, cocktails and tapas. You probably like to come back several nights!
8. Beach visits: A Caribbean vacation is not complete without visiting our Island Beaches. St. Maarten – St. Martin is home to some of the most beautiful beaches, make sure you visit some.
Don’t miss Mullet Bay, Happy Bay, Orient Bay, Grand Case Bay, Great Bay, Simpson Bay, Kim Sha and Maho Beach. Some are great to relax, some for water activities and others to see planes coming over. See our list of beaches here, read more…
9. Visit Local producers: Visit and support the makers of our local products. Guavaberry Rum, Topper’s Rhum, Sint Maarten Nectar, Tijon Perfumes, MaDouDou, Caribbean Brewing Company, Noco Art Studio, Art Craft Café, Art Box Gallery and lots more. Great products, read more…
10. Relax, rejuvenate and be reborn: Whats better before going home than to enjoy a relaxing massage with only 100% natural essential oils. Combine this with your own made perfume and a fresh hairstyle. A reset and fresh start before entering “normal life”, relax and read more…
Other great sightseeing locations are: Fort Amsterdam, Fort Louis, Marigot shopping, ATV Tour, Trike Rental, Diving Tour, Rainforest Adventure Zipline, Birdpark visit, Amuseum Naturalis. Check out our webpage for most of the best options 🙂 Enjoy!
We love learning and improving
Share your experience and positive feedback below
Submit your review